Monday, February 27, 2012

9th Grade English - Monday, Feb. 27th, 2011


^Ray Bradbury

Hey guys! Good job today on your group seminar posters - I saw loads of good "stuff" written about "The Veldt," which is one of my favorite stories.

Reminder: this activity was a PRE-assessment! Some may wonder, "What does this mean?!" A PRE-assessment is sort-of an introduction to our unit. The story was a "take-home-and-read" story, and most of you were able to get that done - kudos! Also, the activities we have been doing in class that deal with satire, allusion, allegory, mood, tone and symbolism are testing your memory - how well can you remember what we've been covering, and how well can you apply it to new stuff?

At this point in the semester, the A and B cohorts are splitting.

Cohort A: You will be starting a dystopian novel, Ayn Rand's Anthem, which is not one of my personal faves, but I'm sure you all will like it. I'm sure you've all heard my Ayn Rand rants in class, so I'll spare you... This novel is pretty dinky (120 pages, or so), so your nightly homework will be to read around 20 pages to finish it by next week (high hopes!).

Cohort B: We will continue our dystopian short stories unit with Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" (one of my faves, by my favorite author).

Both of y'all will be doing similar things; when you both finish (the novel or the stories unit), you will get to do what the other cohort did: Cohort A will move to the short stories, B will start the novel.

Your HW tonight, which will be due on Wednesday/Thursday is this:
In CBECW format, write an 8-10 sentence paragraph that analyzes how Bradbury uses one of the six literary devices we've covered in his short, "The Veldt."

No comments:

Post a Comment